Sunday 27 September 2009

Ignorance is Bliss: ( April 2006)

The dyed lock of hair twisted around the gigantic nose ring is the symbol of a married woman in this tiny village in the interiors of Kutch,India. Cut off from civilization, located in the scorching 'banni' area with only a herd of 250 goats and a seasonal well, no industry, not even a carpenter or ironsmith for that matter, theirs is a resigned, peaceful existence by virtue of not knowing anything better. A huge contrast to the wretched existence of the urban poor, who see progress but are not part of it.

5 comments:

Scribblers Inc said...

the eccentricities of rural india...but as long as subsistence happens, I would rather not touch it any form, for I might end up corrupting a rather fragile part of societal evolution.

Scribblers Inc.

vatsal said...

...hmm

salvation_seeker said...

Scribblers Inc is practially right but morally wrong.

Mihir jha said...

Hey,

I came across your blog in my quest to search writers who write to pass some meaning to the society with each of his/her write up for an upcoming magazine which me and some of my friends are launching this 26th Jan. The magazine shall be called as Reader's Quotient.

I had a cursorily view over most of your posts be it review of Laxmi and me or be it this one or The scribbles from Satanic Verses. I liked them and could conclude that you yearn to do something to get rid of this poverty, ignorance and illiteracy.....our magazine is also based on ethical grounds and the money coming from it shall be going to fund the education of some poor and needy children basically at the primary and secondary level....i just wanted to inquire if you shall be interested to join us in our initiative.....we are going live on 26th Jan......In case, you are interested please drop me a mail at
mihirjha@readersquotient.com or u can also add me on mihirjha27@gmail.com

Wish you a very happy new year and happy writing...:)
Regds/Mihir

Jerome said...

It's a very interesting piece of write-up. The accompanying photo speaks volumes. Please do more portrayal of such unique type of people.